What Are Pokemon Hidden Ability [Complete List] (2023)

Pokemon Hidden Ability : Breeding Guide for ‘Pokémon Sword and Shield’: Egg Moves, Hidden Abilities, IVs, and More

Table of Contents

Pokemon Hidden Ability

What Are Pokemon Hidden Ability [Complete List] (1)While catching Pokémon is an important element of the franchise, many trainers, particularly those interested in competitive battles, will want to take advantage of the breeding function in Sword and Shield.

Many of the breeding methods remain the same from generation to generation of Pokémon games, but each new title adds something new to make it easier for trainers to build their dream team. Breeding is easier than ever with Sword and Shield.

Here’s everything you need to know about breeding Pokémon in Sword and Shield.

BASICS | Pokemon Hidden Ability

In Pokémon Sword and Shield, the foundations of breeding are quite simple. A Pokémon Egg is created by leaving two Pokémon of opposite genders of the same species, or of the same Egg Group (more on that later), at the Nursery.

If two distinct species are crossed, the resulting Pokémon will be of the mother’s species.

Pichu and other baby Pokémon are also unable to breed. There are two nurseries in Sword and Shield. The first is on Route 5 and may be reached by Corviknight Taxi.

You can leave up to two Pokémon at the Nursery for 1,000 PokeDollars.

The other is in the Wild Area’s Bridge Field portion and is also Taxi accessible.

Pokémon of different kinds can breed in Egg Groups. Based on its physiology, each Pokémon belongs to at least one Egg Group.

(Video) How to EASILY get Hidden Abilities in Pokemon Scarlet and Violet

To determine the group your desired Pokémon belongs to, we recommend checking through Serebii’s Egg Group listings.

The worker will cross their arms to indicate that an Egg was generated once you’ve left two compatible Pokémon in the Nursery and gone about.

You can add the Egg to your party after speaking with them.

After a specific number of steps, an Egg hatches. Depending on the species, the number of steps required to hatch an egg varies.

Having a Pokémon with the Flame Body ability in your party is the best way to speed up the hatching process. This will help the Egg hatch faster by incubating it.

We also recommend getting on your bike and going for a short ride.

The Nursery on Route 5 is a good place to breed because it’s close to a lengthy bridge that you can ride back and forth on without being interrupted.

DITTO | Pokemon Hidden Ability

Ditto is a unique Pokémon that can breed with any other species of Pokémon.

These are beneficial for a multitude of reasons, including obtaining the desired Nature, passing on IVs, and attempting to produce a female-gendered Pokémon.

Normal-type Pokémon can be obtained during Max Raid Battles in the Wild Area of Sword and Shield or in the Lake of Outrage segment.

Due to the random nature of the Pokémon that occur in Max Raids, you’ll want to keep an eye out for a Ditto raid or find someone online looking for trainers to combat one.

Ditto is also the only Pokémon that can breed with Pokémon that aren’t gendered.

NATURES | Pokemon Hidden Ability

The Nature of a Pokémon is used to determine its best and worst stats.

(Video) How To Get Hidden Ability Pokemon in Pokemon Brilliant Diamond & Shining Pearl

You can see the Nature and which stats it influences by glancing at that Pokémon’s summary page.

The metric that has been increased is highlighted in red, whilst the stat in blue will grow at a slower rate than usual.

The Everstone can be used to guarantee a Pokémon’s Nature through breeding. This item may be found near the Stadium in Turffield.

Hold the Everstone while breeding the Pokémon with the desired Nature, and the children will inherit that Nature.

The new Mint items in Sword and Shield can be used to better modify the affects of Natures. Mints can change a Pokémon’s stats depending on the Mint’s name.

For example, regardless of the Pokémon’s actual Nature, if you give it the Adamant Mint, the Attack stat will develop faster while the Special Attack stat would grow slower.

It’s worth noting that the Pokémon’s Nature remains unchanged, but the stats that are modified do.

If you wish to skip this step in the breeding process, you can buy one at the Battle Tower for 50 Battle Points.


Pokémon have abilities that can aid them in battle, but getting the one you desire isn’t always straightforward.

In Sword and Shield, most Pokémon have two skills that are their “regular” powers.

The Ability that is passed down in the case of breeding will be randomised between the two parents.

However, if you breed a Pokémon with the correct Nature and IVs but the incorrect Ability, you can buy an Ability Capsule in the Battle Tower for 50 BP to change the Ability.

However, this does not function with Hidden Abilities.

(Video) What Pokemon Have Access To Their Hidden Abilities In PokeMMO?

Hidden Abilities are abilities that are only found in a few Pokémon. A Pokémon caught in Max Raid Battles in Sword and Shield has a possibility of having its Hidden Ability.

You can breed your desired Pokémon’s children once you’ve obtained the Pokémon with the desired Hidden Ability. It used to be that only female Pokémon could pass it on, but now both male and female Pokémon can.

A female Pokémon with the Hidden Ability has a 60% chance of passing it on to her offspring.

If any gender Pokémon with the Hidden Ability breeds with a Ditto, the chances are roughly 60%, but the female parent must have the Hidden Ability.

MOVES OF THE EGG | Pokemon Hidden Ability

Pokémon with Egg Moves can be caught in the wild as long as they are surrounded by the “brilliant aura.”

Trainers can locate Pokémon with this aura in the overworld at random, and the yellow ring around them can be used to identify them.

These Pokémon will have a maximum of three IVs and an Egg Move unique to their species.

Although the Pokémon’s Egg Move may be random, it’s a terrific way to achieve the desired attack without having to breed for it.

However, breeding is the simplest approach to ensure a specific Egg Move.

The Egg Move will be passed down to the child as long as one of the parents has it.

Another new element in Sword and Shield is the ability to pass Egg Moves down through the generations.

If one parent has the Egg Move and the other is left at the same Day Care Center, the Egg Move can be passed on to the other.

The sole need is that the parent from whom you want to learn the Egg Move has an empty slot for each assault.

(Video) How To Get Hidden Abilities in Pokemon Scarlet and Violet

So, when you’ve left both parents, wait a while and you’ll notice that both Pokémon have the Egg Move.


Individual Values, or IVs, are a Pokémon’s unique personality traits that influence how much weight is given to individual numbers. A Pokémon’s stats range from 0 to 31, with 31 being the highest.

You’ll need the IV Checker in the Rotom PC to determine out how strong your Pokémon’s IVs are. Trainers must defeat Leon in the Battle Tower to get this useful attribute.

After you’ve obtained the IV Checker, go to the Rotom PC to check out your Pokémon’s stats, including their IVs.

To display the IVs of the highlighted Pokémon, press the (+) button. The “Best” stats have been maxed up.

The quickest way to breed IVs onto a Pokémon is to purchase the Destiny Knot for 10 Battle Points at the Pokémon Center in Hammerlocke.

Three of the parents’ IVs are handed down at random to the children, but activating the Destiny Knot ensures that five of the item’s 12 stats are passed down.

If both parents, for example, have perfect IVs in HP, that trait is more likely to be passed on.

So, in the metrics you want, aim to have both parents’ IVs close to ideal.

To breed for a five or six perfect IV Pokémon, this is the most time-consuming part, but if you want to speed up the process, you can use Bottle Caps and Gold Bottle Caps to boost stats using Hyper Training.

When you use a Bottle Cap, the Hyper Trainer in the Battle Tower will maximum one stat’s IVs, or all stats if you use a Gold Bottle Cap.

The Nintendo Switch game Pokémon Sword and Shield is now available.

Have you already started breeding for a competitive team? Let us know how you did it in the comments.

(Video) Top 10 Best Pokemon Abilities

Read Also :

  • Mega Houndoom Best Counter Guide
  • Gigantamax Pikachu
  • Battle a Team Leader 3 Times
  • Find the Disney, Pokemon filters on the Instagram
  • Black Widow Movie Review


How do you find out what a Pokémon's hidden ability is? ›

How do I check to see if the Pokémon I have has a Hidden Ability? Possibly, someone could trade a Pokémon to you that has a Hidden Ability. To check, go to the menu and select Pokémon. Hover over a Pokémon in your party, and you'll be able to see the Ability on the right.

How do you pass down hidden abilities? ›

If you breed a Pokemon that has the HA with a Ditto there's 60% Chance that the egg will have the HA. If you breed two pokemon (without Ditto) of the same species and only the male has the HA, the chances to get passed down are 40%. If female the chances are 60%. if both have the HA the chances are still 60%.

Who has the best hidden ability Pokémon? ›

These Pokemon in particular have worthwhile hidden abilities.
18 Pokemon With Hidden Abilities Competitive Players Must Have
  1. 1 Incineroar - Intimidate.
  2. 2 Rillaboom - Grassy Surge. ...
  3. 3 Venusaur - Chlorophyll. ...
  4. 4 Greninja - Protean. ...
  5. 5 Garchomp - Rough Skin. ...
  6. 6 Cinderace - Libero. ...
  7. 7 Absol - Justified. ...
  8. 8 Luxray - Guts. ...
Feb 9, 2023

How hard is it to catch a Pokémon with a hidden ability? ›

Use Ability Patch to Teach Pokemon Their Hidden Ability

Ability Patches are quite rare, with players only having a 4.55% chance of getting one as a drop from six-star Tera Raid battle. They are best used sparingly, particularly on shiny Pokemon or legendaries.

How rare is a hidden ability? ›

What are the chances of finding hidden ability? Standard wild encounters have a 1/250 chance of having their Hidden Ability, if their species has one. This chance increases with each new badge the player collects. Pokémon can have their ability changed to their Hidden Ability though the Ability Changer in the postgame.

How can you tell if a Pokémon has a hidden ability in diamond? ›

Using the Poké Radar can help players find a wild Pokémon with its Hidden Ability more quickly, as the Pokémon in the tall grass with a Hidden Ability will move the grass more rapidly. Additionally, the Legendary Pokémon caught in Ramanas Park have their Hidden Abilities active in Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl.

Who passes on hidden ability? ›

Once you have the Pokémon with the Hidden Ability you desire, you can breed it to its offspring. In the past, only the female Pokémon could pass it down, but now the male can as well. The female Pokémon with the Hidden Ability has a 60 percent chance of passing it down.

How do you activate a hidden ability? ›

Once you have acquired an Ability Patch, all you need to do to unlock your Pokemon's Hidden Ability is to use the Ability Patch on it. This will activate the passive effects of whatever Hidden Ability your Pokemon has available to it.

Can hidden abilities be found in the underground? ›

Ways of Not Getting Hidden Abilities

To get their Hidden Ability, players will need to use an Ability Patch (more on this later). Some Pokemon that can't be obtained with their Hidden Abilities are Starter Pokemon and Pokemon caught in the Grand Underground.

Can a Pokémon have 2 hidden abilities? ›

The most Abilities any species or form has is three: two normal Abilities and one Hidden Ability. In most wild Pokémon encounters, the Pokémon's Ability will be one of its non-Hidden Abilities (each having an even chance of appearing if the species has two).

What is the most overpowered Ability in Pokémon? ›

15 Pokemon Abilities That Are Overpowered
  • 8 Sand Stream.
  • 7 Adaptability.
  • 6 Magic Guard.
  • 5 Huge Power/Pure Power.
  • 4 Intimidate.
  • 3 No Guard.
  • 2 Wonder Guard.
  • 1 Protean.
Jan 4, 2022

Do any Legendaries have hidden abilities? ›

Articuno, Zapdos, and Moltres with their Hidden Abilities are available to Trainers who check the May Pokémon Trainer Club newsletter, or to those who stopped by a participating retailer in Europe and received a code to get them. A Pokémon's Ability can greatly enhance the way it performs in battle.

How do you tell if a Pokémon is a secret rare? ›

First, they have a collector card number that's higher than the advertised set number — hence the "secret" in their name. Second, for every Secret Rare card in a Pokémon set, there's usually a card of a lower rarity that's identical from a gameplay perspective.

Can a Ditto pass down hidden abilities? ›

The Ditto will not pass down its Hidden Ability through breeding. The other Pokémon needs to have an HA if you want the offspring to have an HA.

What does a secret rare look like Pokémon? ›

Secret rare cards are cards with set numbers outside the printed size of the set (for example, a card numbered 101/100). These cards are generally considered a subset of ultra rares.

Can you find hidden ability Pokemon in the underground? ›

As for the Grand Underground, Pokemon caught here will have an Egg Move, but will never have their Hidden Ability. Other Pokemon that can't obtain their Hidden Ability are the box art Legendaries (Dialga and Palkia), but they can get their Hidden Ability if they're given an Ability Patch.

How do you tell if a Pokemon has a hidden ability Violet? ›

You can actually see which Hidden Ability your Pokemon has by looking at its Summary. This will show you whether or not it has one, but it won't show you if it has been unlocked yet. You'll need to keep track of that information on your own. Can I change my Pokemon's Tera Type in Pokemon Scarlet and Violet?

Can you change a Pokemon's hidden ability? ›

Simply give your Pokemon a Capsule or Patch to switch your Pokemon's Ability. When you give a Pokemon a Capsule or Patch, the original Ability of that Pokemon will be completely replaced by the new or hidden Ability. Pokemon can only have one Ability at a time.


1. Pokémon Scarlet & Violet - All New Abilities
(Nintendo Unity)
2. About The "Hidden Ability Capsule"...
3. Hidden Features and Mechanics in Every Pokémon Generation That You May Not Know About!
4. Top 9: Hidden Ability Pokemon you can't catch anymore
5. Pokemon Abilities Explained
6. A Simple Guide to EVs, IVs, Natures, & More in Pokemon Scarlet and Violet
(Austin John Plays)
Top Articles
Latest Posts
Article information

Author: Foster Heidenreich CPA

Last Updated: 01/02/2023

Views: 5457

Rating: 4.6 / 5 (76 voted)

Reviews: 83% of readers found this page helpful

Author information

Name: Foster Heidenreich CPA

Birthday: 1995-01-14

Address: 55021 Usha Garden, North Larisa, DE 19209

Phone: +6812240846623

Job: Corporate Healthcare Strategist

Hobby: Singing, Listening to music, Rafting, LARPing, Gardening, Quilting, Rappelling

Introduction: My name is Foster Heidenreich CPA, I am a delightful, quaint, glorious, quaint, faithful, enchanting, fine person who loves writing and wants to share my knowledge and understanding with you.